Thursday, May 11, 2017

Cecelia (Codfish Project) May 11, 2017


I worked on this project again today.  I am decorating this wooden codfish cutout for the Marblehead Festival of Art.  Some 50 area artists have been invited to decorate wooden codfish to be displayed in downtown Marblehead, and then auctioned off to benefit the Marblehead Arts Association. This is my third year participating, and this year my codfish, Cecelia, will be decorated with musical scales -- C scales.  To get ready, I drew and inked my design on paper (posted here on April 22). Then I drew the design onto the fish with pencil, and applied the first round of ink with metallic Sharpie markers, and followed with metallic gold and silver (Inkball pens).  Today I began with some cleanup with white paint, and then finally got to apply the pearl silver iridescent paint.  Because this paint has a bit of texture, I couldn't apply it first.  Well, this part of the project was very labor intensive, and because this piece is due on May 15, I probably put in three or four hours on this, over the course of the day.  It's a subtle difference from the white background. The color is in between pale gold and pale silver. (In fact, there are lots of cars this color.)  It was hard to control and hard to see what I was doing, but it finally started to look the way I wanted it to.  So late this afternoon, I put Cecelia up on the wall and took her picture.  I am now painting the edges and the back. If I see mistakes, I will fix them, but I am not planning to make more changes, so this is Cecelia.   If you would like to see last year's project,  follow this link to see "Bella Bacalhau," my Portuguese codfish: www.flickr.com/photos/randiart/26803421380/

No comments: