Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Drawing from Memory (Rescued Sketch as of July 26, 2017)


Yesterday I found an unfinished pen-and-ink sketch that I had done of my mother.  It was apparent that i had been working from memory, not observation.  And it looked like I had stopped working on the sketch because of mistakes and problems, the main problem being that the features were asymmetrical.  So yesterday I grabbed a fine-tipped ink pen and drew into the sketch, trying to make the features symmetrical.  While I was working, I realized that the nose was wrong. (The tip was shaped like my nose, not hers.)  I looked at a photo to verify, and then I revised the nose and kept going.  But the result was that the area around the nose was too dark.  I couldn't fix that without off-white ink that matched the paper. So today I opened a photo of the sketch in Painter and fixed it digitally. I used the computer to match the color of the paper and then reworked the nose.  I did this without looking at a reference, but when I was done, I checked a photo of her and saw that the revised nose in the sketch is closer to what her nose looked like.  I made a few other changes, especially to the eyebrows. I think this is getting a bit better.

No comments: