Monday, September 04, 2017

Idea for Flower Pot Appliqué


A few months ago I found a favorite tea towel while I was going through a chest of drawers. I bought the set of because of the cool design, but now there is only this one left, and it is pretty worn out besides. So I put it in a bag to discard or maybe donate. But I liked the colors and patterns and fished it out, thinking I could cut it up and use it to make fabric appliqué. But every time I thought about cutting it up, I thought no, because it would be great to use as a background for an appliqué: maybe for a bouquet or a window box. But the placement of the patterns as well as some flaws in the tea towel made me doubtful that such a composition would work, so I put it aside. Well, once in a while, you get an idea that won't leave you alone. I tried to start other projects but this idea kept popping up as if to say, "Me first, Make me first." (The last time this happened was when I made my chicken collage. See below.) So today I decided to figure out once and for all whether my idea would work. I put the tea towel over my bulletin board and just started cutting up a few pieces of office paper and moving the pieces around until I came up with the rough composition you see here. Based on this, I decided it would be possible to create a composition that builds on the patterns already in the cloth, while covering some flaws in the tea towel as well. So I decided that this project is a go. I didn't bother to attach the pieces of paper to the tea towel because although I am going to include the three flower pots, I will probably make a lot of changes in the flowers and leaves. But I did take this quick photo to use as a guide. And I put the pieces of paper in a big envelope. To be continued. . . .
PS. Here is a link to my chicken collage: www.flickr.com/photos/randiart/8152651327/

No comments: