Monday, November 05, 2018

Snowcapped Mountains (Reference for Painting)


Yesterday's post was an image cropped from a photo that I took in Colorado back in June, a picture of the mountains taken on the road into the mountains.  When I took the picture, I knew I wanted to paint those mountains, but the photo, taken from the car, showed the highway, cars, trucks, street signs, etc.  I tried cropping all that out, but I had to crop so much that I didn't like the composition as well.  So I opened the image in Painter and used digital pastel to rough in a workable solution.  I drew into the photo, extended the lines of the closest mountain, and used the same light green as in the original image to create the foreground shape.  I am happier with this, and plan to use it as the basis for my next painting. 

No comments: