Friday, March 22, 2019

Dancers (Painting as of March 22, 2019)


Today I returned to this project, a double portrait based on a photo of this couple (our ballroom dance teachers).  At this point, the figures seem okay and the likeness is pretty good. (The people that I am painting agree and like the portrait so far, to my great relief.) Now I need to add color to the figures, and paint the background. Today I got started on both.  I added transparent pink washes to the skin tones. Then I used a ruler to reestablish the lines for the background, which I had painted over while correcting the figures. I started with white and brown, but I was getting lost, so I decided to paint the wall areas with a neutral value.  I mixed white with the pink I had been using  for the skin tone and started painting the two wall areas.  That color contrast really helped me to see where I was and to get the background shapes defined quickly. I don't know if I will keep the pink as a background color, but I am sure it won't be this saturated.  It is fun to see the figures against the background.  Still a ways to go on this. . . .

No comments: