Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Dancers (Painting) as of March 26, 2019


I returned to this painting this morning. I am a painting a portrait of this couple, using one of their favorite photos as a reference. My work on the background has helped me to spot a couple of problems with the figures. After I tried to reproduce the man's pose in the mirror, and after I stared some more at the reference photo, I made some slight changes in the position of the man's arm. This is a difficult pose, lots of twists and turns (aka contraposto), but as it happens, this position is also part of a step we recently learned in ballroom dance class, and that helped. Today I also added more color to the man's tuxedo and added more folds in the cloth. That helps indicate position and suggest movement. I did a bit of work on the hands, and tried to add a bit of light to the ceiling. To be continued. . . .

No comments: