Sunday, March 31, 2019

Dancers (Painting as of March 31, 2019)


I worked on this project again today. I am painting a double portrait of our ballroom dance teachers, based on a favorite photo of this couple. For the past three days, I have been struggling with the man's face. This started when I needed to make some adjustments to the position of his head and face, for the sake of accurancy, but in doing so, I lost a bit of the likeness, and worse, his expression. After several days of struggling with this, I feel like I am now back on track, and the gentleness of this sweet man shows in his face. (These are all tiny changes, some of them adjustments of 1/16 of an inch! Although the painting is 16 x 20, the size of each face is much smaller.) This morning, after I was satisfied with the man's face, I made some corrections to the woman's figure. Then I started adding light to the ceiling, trying to imply the overhead light source without actually showing the light fixture.

No comments: