Thursday, May 09, 2019

Pearl (Codfish Project) as of May 9, 2019


This morning I worked on this project. This is Pearl, the wooden codfish that I am decorating for this year's Codfish Auction to benefit a Marblehead Festival of Art.  Today I began by cleaning up yesterday's work which was out the pearls and evening out the basic color.  Then I took a leap of faith and began to add shadows, going for a 3-D (trompe l'oeil) effect.  Up to this point, all my codfish designs have been surface design, with no suggestion of depth. But I have been thinking about this and today I decided.  I started with some purple shadows under each row of beads, and then added pink shadows on the pearls. I also painted in Pearl's eye.  I had original planned to use some gold ink to outline Pearl's body, but I decided against it. Gold outline would work well with a "flat" design, but would work against the illusion of depth.  So instead, I used purple shadow to suggest the outline of the Pearl's body.  So now this is basically what the finished version of Pearl will look like, though there are still small changes to make and mistakes to fix.

No comments: