Thursday, May 23, 2019

Pink Trees at Lynch Park


This is a photo that I took yesterday during a late afternoon walk at Lynch Park, here in Beverly, MA.  The light was wonderful as it played on the pink flowering trees behind the wall of the Rose Garden, a formal sunken garden within Lynch Park. The engraved stone plaques on the brick pillars say, "Whosover enters here let him Beware"... "For he shall nevermore escape nor be free of my spell."  Lots of people have wondered about this quotation.  I tried to find it on Google, and found it in a book called "The Lure of the Garden" by Hildegarde Hawthorne, written in 1911. The full quotation, which follows a paragraph about the pleasures of gardening, says: "Indeed, it might not be amiss to inscribe over every garden the legend, "Whosoever enters here, let him beware. For he shall never more escape, nor be free of my spell." So the inscription refers to the spell gardens cast upon us.  In any case, this scene cast a spell on me, so I took this picture.

No comments: