Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Mountains and Lake (Reference Photo for Painting)


This was the third step in creating a reference photo for the painting I am working on.  Because this was for a painting on a 16" x 20" Aquaboard, I wanted to have an image that I could print out as an 8" x 10" photo.  It wasn't a matter of simply cropping the image, because that would mean losing some of the mountain shapes that I liked best. So I did some cut-and-paste in Painter. Since I made no attempt to "cover my tracks", you can easily see where I made the changes (for example, in the sky just above the mountains on the right side).  I kept checking the size and adjusting the crop till I had an image that would be the right size.  I was pretty happy with this composition, so I printed it out and used it as a guide to establish the composition of my painting.  Of course, as I started working on the painting, I made more changes.  But I am getting ahead of myself.  To be continued. . .

No comments: