Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Layers of Green (Painting as of January 29, 2020)


I stole some time to work on this painting today.  My inspiration is a piece of background cropped a vacation snapshot taken in the Colorado mountains several decades ago. (My painting reference is posted here, January 15.) Today I added more layers of green to some of the mountains, and am still adjusting the composition as I go. I am using tubes of several different kinds of green acrylic paint, sometimes right out of the tube, but also mixed with other colors, like purple and blue. As I worked today, I realized that there are layers of meaning in the title: I am painting the layers of green in these mountain ranges, but I am also creating the colors by layering different greens (for example, phthalocyanine green over hooker's green, hunter's green over hooker's green). To be continued. . . .

No comments: