Saturday, January 11, 2020

Snowscene from Boulder Overlook (Painting as of Jan. 11, 2020)


I worked on this painting today, a landscape is based on a vacation photo taken decades ago (see post for January 2nd). The location is the  Boulder Overlook;  this is a view of the Flatirons seen from the overlook, with Boulder off to the right.  As you drive north from Denver, this overlook offers the first glimpse of the Boulder. I have loved this overlook since we first moved to Boulder back in 68 and I still get emotional whenever we go back to visit. Today I made one more adjustment to the mountain shapes. There was a lot of white left to paint in the foreground, but first I added some underpainting in pale pastel colors to add variety and depth.  Then I used purple to emphasize a line  of foliage on the little ridge in the foreground. Finally I added white washes to the sky and to the snowy areas in the foreground.  I think I need to add another layer or two of white, but this is nearly done. To be continued. . . .

No comments: