Friday, February 07, 2020

Reposting: Self-Portrait with Bridal Veil


I have posted this before (in 2005, I think), but am reposting it today for my 72nd birthday.  This is what I said about it in 2005: "This collaged self-portrait was part of an assignment in a collage class a few years ago. We were to create three self-portraits from materials that reflected our identities.  This is the first of the series. . . . The four images at the bottom are pictures of me at different stages of my  life, and were the basis of the whole series. I sketched the image of myself under the veil, using the most recent photo as a reference (me, in my fifties). The plastic veil actually lifts up.  This collage is meant to be funny, but it has its serious side. First: marriage is a decision to go through time with someone. Second: the woman under the veil, the baby in the bonnet, and the woman with gray hair are one and the same.  And third, if you are getting married, don't forget the ring, but even more important, don't  forget your sense of humor." 

Fifteen years later, I would just add that we change and we learn as we go through time but somehow remain the same inside.

No comments: