Sunday, December 13, 2020

Reposting: Two Faces



This image began with a rescued snapshot that my Aunt Edy sent me a few years ago, a double-exposed picture of herself (in the back) with my mother (in front). I added some special effects with Painter and posted it on February 25, 2020, after a long phone call with Aunt Edy. My Aunt Edy was part of the committee that raised me and often filled in for my mom when I was a kid.  When I posted this image last February,  I said, "Since my mom died (in 1984) it seems that when I want to talk to my mother, I call my aunt, who is now almost 101!)"  Well, Aunt Edy died this weekend, so now I feel like I am kind of on my own.  But, as I have found myself saying today,  this isn't my first rodeo. I know from other losses I have had that you don't really ever completely lose someone you love.  I will miss Aunt Edy.  But I will remember what she tried to teach me, and there's a long list:  jewelry making, comedic timing, intuitive cooking, assertive generosity,  joyful dancing, befriending others, aging gracefully. And I will try to "pay it forward," and make sure that her memory will be for a blessing, as was her life.

No comments: