Saturday, December 26, 2020

Waldo Canyon Wildfire (Acrylic Watermedia) as of December 25, 2020



Yesterday, I finally had a chance to get this painting started. I am hoping to contribute this painting to a special exhibit with a "Heroes and Villains" theme. The Waldo Canyon wildfire near Colorado Springs killed several people and destroyed many homes and lots of forest. It was started by human activity but it was brought under control by firefighters (villains and heroes). Back in 2016, I was visiting friends in Colorado Springs, and they showed me these foothills, still scarred by the Waldo Canyon Fire which took place four years earlier, in 2012.  Of course, I took some pictures. I recently edited the original photo to use as a painting reference by using Painter to add colors to suggest fire and smoke. (My painting reference is posted here December 22nd). Life has been hectic, but after some delays, I finally had a chance to begin.  I started by just trying to sketch in the basic composition.  To be continued. . .

No comments: