Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Glenwood Canyon Memory (in new home in Brazil)



After a long and complicated journey* that began in July, my painting "Glenwood Canyon Memory" has finally reached its new home in Goiania, Brazil.  Yesterday, Sandra, the new owner, sent me pictures. She tells me that this may not be the final location of painting in her house, but meanwhile I like the way the painting looks on that yellow wall.  They say  "The road to the house of a friend is never long."  I guess that is true of paintings, too. 
*The complicated journey:  In early July I left the painting with the local UPS store to be wrapped for shipping, intending to then pick up the wrapped painting and mail it from the US Post Office. But when I went back to the UPS store to pick up the wrapped painting, it had disappeared!  Phone calls and in store video revealed  that a UPS driver inadvertently picked up the painting, wrapped but unlabeled apart from a post-it note with my name and number. The UPS label scanning system was down that day,  the driver wasn't scanning packages, and so didn't see that the package had no label, but just put it in the truck. After many phone calls over the next two days, the painting was located at a UPS processing center, so we drove over to retrieve it.  A few days later I mailed the painting to Brazil from a local post office. Then I was able to track its progress until it arrived in Brazil.   But after that, radio silence for several weeks until I became convinced that it was lost (again). But Sandra, my friend and the new owner of this painting, found out that the painting was in Brazilian customs, awaiting payment! (Oh no!!!) It took awhile for her to retrieve it, but now it is finally in Sandra's house, and we are both relieved.
PS: For any potential art buyers: I have sent a number of paintings via UPS and also via the US  Postal service without incident. Typically in the US shipping takes 3 to 5 days and costs around  $50.00.  I have mailed other international packages without problems.  And this experience has taught me some things about insurance and customs forms that should help avoid such delays in the future. 

No comments: