Sunday, April 16, 2023

Rosa (Another Pencil Sketch of Pattern)




This is a very rough sketch of a pattern I am working on. These are beach roses (rosa rugosa) on a lattice, and I am going to use this design to decorate a wooden codfish cutout. This is for the annual Codfish Auction to benefit Marblehead Festival of Art. I name my fish every year, and this year's fish is called "Rosa".  I had already developed the pattern, and yesterday posted a version of four of the squares in color.  But because I already have laid out the lattice pattern on a piece of cardboard, I know that there will be many irregular shapes to fill with flowers.  So I decided to do a second sketch to get some ideas for placement in those irregular shapes. (It's much easier to work things out on paper as a dress rehearsal, because it is much harder to fix mistakes on the final project.)  Some of the shapes are going to be small triangles, and I decided that for the smallest shapes, I will use a bud instead of the open flower. Despite the rough state of the sketch, I feel more confident having done it.  

 

No comments: