Friday, September 29, 2023

Tunnel Ahead (Photo Reference for Painting)



On September 29th, I began to prepare for the next painting, although I had not yet finished the last one. To make this photo reference, I found a picture that I took in June of 2018, during a trip to Colorado.  We were on our way to Central City, and at this point, were heading toward the tunnels that were part of the drive I had loved as a child.  To get this photo ready, I opened the image in Painter, on my computer. First, I cropped out the interior of the car. In the original photo, you can see that this is actually a divided highway, but I turned the other part of the road into trees.  There were several cars on the road, which I removed, along with some road signs.  Because my goal was just to get the composition I wanted, I left this pretty rough. The result is that it is easy to tell where I made changes.  Anyway, once I was happy with the changes, I printed out a copy of this digitally altered photo to use as my painting reference.

No comments: