Tuesday, July 16, 2024

The Whirlpool (Moby Dick project) as of July 10, 2024



Here is my painting as it looked on July 10, 2024.  This project is  for the "Moby Dick" show at Porter Mill, now on view in the lobby.  I decided to paint the whirlpool from the end of the novel, superimposed with the final sentence of the last chapter: "And now concentric circles seized the lone boat itself and all its crew and each floating oar and every lancepole and spinning, animate and inanimate, all round and round in one vortex carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of sight." Over several days, I had continued to work on this paint, turning it round and round as I continued to revise the lettering, the colors, and the shapes.  And finally I added brush strokes to the corners to suggest the circular movement of the water surrounding the whirlpool.  This photo shows the painting in progress, but over the weekend, I delivered the final version to Porter Mill for the show.

No comments: