Thursday, May 18, 2006

Exercise in Graphing the Curve of a Color


Exercise in Graphing the Curve of a Color
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This is a piece of digital art I have been working on, inspired by graphs and other mathematical illustrations. I am very interested in the idea that line carries meaning, whether in art or in math. I started this image about a month ago, but have had trouble finishing it. I started it by making some arcs in Painter IX, and then started filling in color with the digital airbrush. At first, I wanted hard, crisp lines. But with the cursor, which is what I use, it is very difficult to make precise lines that are curved or diagonal. Then I decided to soften the edges a bit, and I liked the effect. It also brings the piece a bit closer to what I have been thinking about, the intersection of art and math, and the blurred edges that divide the two fields.

No comments: