Sunday, October 15, 2006

Transformation Landscape (Number 5)


Transformation Landscape (Number 5)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This small drawing is part of a series I started this week at Red Brick. At home, I had found an abandoned painting (acrylic on paper), the beginning of a figure in pink and orange. I had started it in a class as an assignment, I think. So I took the painting to Red Brick, just intending to cut it up for collage. Looking more closely, I saw areas I liked, so I planned to crop them out and draw into them with conte crayon. Then I decided to just divide the painting into nine small pieces, six by eight inches, and work with whatever composition resulted in each rectangle. I drew the lines with pencil and T-square; instead of erasing the marks and lines, I decided to draw more lines in pencil, and then used conte crayon to add color. This is one of three drawings I worked on so far. Although I photographed the pieces reassembled into their original positions in the painting (I numbered them), I am not paying attention to that in my drawings. ( In some cases, I am turning them upside-down or sideways.) But the shared color scheme, technique, and subject matter will make them into a series. The way this project started is not that important, but it made me laugh and it is fun to see what I can do with each composition, determined by the random measurement.

No comments: