Saturday, November 04, 2006

Front Range Coasters (Fired)


Front Range Coasters (Fired)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

Last week, at Red Brick, I saw that the tile coasters (painted for the upcoming fundraiser) have been fired. Here is a picture of mine. The color of the mountains came out midnight blue, almost black. (In fact, when I took pictures with my phonecam, I thought there was something wrong with the image and tried to fix it!) But the problem was not the photo, but my expectations! The glaze was much lighter before the tiles were fired and at first, I was disappointed because these don't look the way I expected they would. But life, like art, is full of surprises. At this point, I like this color scheme. It reminds me of the way the mountains look as the setting sun moves behind the front range, lighting up the evening sky and leaving the mountains in shadow.

No comments: