Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Harvard Archway Posterized


Harvard Archway Posterized
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

Sunday was a great day for a morning trip to Cambridge. Because it was Christmas Eve Day, the Harvard Bookstore opened at 8 AM. We got to Cambridge early enough for coffee at Peet's, then it was time for the bookstore. (I bought Hockney's book SECRET KNOWLEDGE, about the old masters and optics: very controversial but fascinating.) As I left the bookstore, the building opposite, with its archway leading to campus, caught my eye and I took some pictures. Tonight I chose the photo with the best geometric composition, then cropped the image to focus only on the archway and the view beyond. Then I posterized the image in Painter IX, adjusting the levels to get the amount of detail I was after. Hockney has interesting things to say about photography, painting, and computers, ideas relevant to the kind of manipulation that programs like Painter make possible.

No comments: