Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Vase of Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 7)

Vase of Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 7) Originally uploaded by randubnick

After a busy week, I finally had a chance to get to Red Brick to work on this painting. By now, the flowers I am painting from in the still life set-up have dropped most of their blossoms and many of their leaves. But that doesn't matter because at this point I am working on the vase and the background. Today I spent about an hour working on the vase, trying to get the shape right, and more important, trying to make it symmetrical. (It's not quite there yet, but this is a work in progress.) For much of the hour I spent at the studio, I had the painting upside down on the easel to see the shapes differently. I also used a T-square and ruler to check the placement. I used a brush to re-do the outline of the vase, and then I went over it with a palette knife. Checking for symmetry and making sure elipses are correct may not sound like a lot of fun, but those kinds of things make a big difference. But it was great to be painting today, even for just an hour. To be continued. . .

No comments: