Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Vase of Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 10)

Vase of Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 10)

This morning I went to Red Brick to work on this painting for an hour. I am hoping to finish it up this week because this weekend is open studios. The flowers are now completely bedraggled, but are still useful as place-holders. Today I decided to work on the brick in the background, but in preparing to do that, I realized that the position of the table needed to be lower on the picture plane. I painted over the section that used to be table and is now brick. I think that improved both the composition and the perspective. Then I spent some time figuring out where to put the lines for the brick. (I used my reference photo, but also spent time measuring the actual brick to get the proportions right.) Then I put the lines in with a brush, using my T-square as a guide. I decided that I like the pattern of the brick in the painting, so I will keep going. To be continued. . . .

No comments: