Thursday, June 28, 2007

Vase of Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 17)

Vase of Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 17) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Well, last week I stated that this painting might be finished, but as it turns out, I was wrong. Something was bothering me when I looked at photos of this painting. I wanted to get back to the studio to check on the geometry of the vase and figure out what was wrong. But it was a busy week, and the temperature went over ninety, too hot to work in the studio. But this morning, it was a bit cooler, so I got up early and went on over to Red Brick. I had an idea for a new collage project, but I thought I would spend a few minutes fixing the vase issue. When I measured, I discovered that the vase was no longer in the center of the canvas; apparently as I worked on the shape of the vase, I had made it wider on one side than the other. The difference was a matter of a quarter of an inch or so, but worth fixing. That sort of mistake registers with people when they look at the painting, whether or not they are aware of it, and becomes a distraction. Well, the few minutes I intended to spend on this problem turned into an hour, and I never got to the collage project at all, but I did manage to move the vase closer to center, working with my ruler and my T-square. "Measure twice, cut once" is the carpenters' saying. Good advice for life, good advice for art.

No comments: