Monday, July 30, 2007

Cabbage Closeup (Digitally Edited)


Cabbage Closeup (Digitally Edited) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This is a purple cabbage, growing in a patio garden. I took a picture with my phonecam because I love the pattern of the purple veins against the blue-green leaves. This is the digitally edited version; once I had posted the original photo, I saw that one of the inner leaves had been broken off or eaten, possibly by an insect with no aesthetic sensibility. So I opened the image in Painter IX and did a little repair with cut and paste and digital pastel. I thought this cabbage was worth the effort. Cabbage is really beautiful as it grows, especially purple cabbage. It looks like a rose, and it is easy to see how cabbage roses got their name. (Cabbage roses are the kind of roses that are in the "Ribbon Roses" collage that I have been working on.) Cabbage is quite an ordinary vegetable, and is easily found in every supermarket. But something ordinary can be quite beautiful. You just have to look. . . .

No comments: