Sunday, July 22, 2007

Ribbon Roses (Collage Day 8)

Ribbon Roses (Collage Day 8) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Although I thought I was almost finished with this collage, yesterday I realized that because I have been adding foliage to the bouquet, the vase needs to be bigger. This morning I was thinking very hard about how to do that, so I decided to go to the studio and try out my idea. I enlarged the vase by about a quarter of an inch all around. I did this by adding darker pieces of ribbon, alternating with the original red ribbon. My idea was try to some contrast as well as a sense of volume, trying to approximate what I would do to make a vase look three-dimensional in a drawing. Of course, I also had to move the shadow beneath the vase. This felt like a pain in the neck at first, but it was worth it. Now the composition seems a bit more balanced and the vase shows up better. I think I am on the right track, and the collage looks better to me, though it still needs work.

No comments: