Saturday, August 11, 2007

Peaceful Moment at the Pond

Peaceful Moment at the Pond (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

Recently I posted a photo of the evening sun, cropped from a larger photo. This is the original photo, cropped a bit to set up the composition. When I took the picture, I was interested in the colors in the sky and the play of pink light on the water. I usually try to ignore the fountain in the background because it is a reminder that this pond with all its history is now in the middle of a big office park. But the other evening, seeing the fountain with the pink reflections on the water reminded of hot summer nights growing up when my parents took me to the city park to see a fountain lit from June to August with colored lights. Is it just nostalgia that attracted me to this scene? I think it is more than that. This is a peaceful moment, a rare commodity that is often hard to find in daily life. The fountain is artificial, the pond is in an office park, but the sunset, the light, and the water are genuine. We have to seize those peaceful moments no matter where we find them.

No comments: