Monday, October 29, 2007

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 7)


Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 7) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This morning I went to Red Brick to work on this painting of the Merrimack River in Manchester, New Hampshire. I didn't have a lot of time today, but I wanted to add more purple to the mill building. I decided to applied paint directly with the oil bar (just like a big crayon) and then used a small brush to blend it in, mixing the color right on the canvas. That worked pretty well, and I am happier with the building color now. Working the same way, I added blue and purple shadows to the foliage, and then mirrored those colors in the river. By then, it was time to go. Next time, I plan to adjust the scale (relative size of windows to foliage); I am going to add height to the foliage, maybe paint in a few trees, and I think I may also move the land/water line down just a bit as well. To be continued. . .

No comments: