Thursday, December 13, 2007

River and Bridge (Oil Bar Painting Day 2)

River and Bridge (Oil Bar Painting Day 2) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Yesterday I went to Red Brick and worked on this painting of the Merrimac River, using my printout of the digital overlay as a reference (see yesterday's post). I change the diagonal and horizontal lines of the water to adjust the perspective. I also changed the bridge railing to three bars, also for the sake of the perspective (looking down on the bridge). As I made the change, I kept thinking that the third rail would obscure the view ofthe water too much. But then I thought that this series of paintings shows the relationship of the industrial to the natural, and the idea that the bridge interferes with the view of the river fits right in. But now I am not sure about the third rail and may change back to just two rails, because I am very interested in the water and would like to show more of it. (Opinions are welcome.) Well, it looks like I will have a little time to think about it. Although I planned to go to the studio tonight and paint for three hours during the monthly open study night, Massachusetts is having a big snowstorm right now (a foot of snow expected), so for the time being, I am not going anywhere. To be continued. . .

No comments: