Monday, January 07, 2008

River Current (Oil Bar Painting Day 4)

River Current (Oil Bar Painting Day 4) Originally uploaded by randubnick

On January 3rd, I returned to the studio to work on this oil bar painting of the current in the Merrimac River, based on a photo that I took earlier this year in Manchester, New Hampshire. On the previous day's painting, I stopped working on this painting because I felt that I was losing both the shapes and luminosity that were there on the first day, so I also brought a photo of a previous version of the painting. I used that photo as a guide to restore some of the shapes and light that I had lost. I also added definition and color to the painting, adding more purple tones to the dark areas. When it was time to pack up and go home for the day, I was much happier with this painting than I had been the day before.

No comments: