Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Swirling River (Oil Bar Painting Day 3)


Swirling River (Oil Bar Painting Day 3) Originally uploaded by randubnick

On January 3rd, I also worked on this painting at Red Brick Studios. This painting is based on my closeup photo of the rushing current of the Merrimac River in Manchester, New Hampshire. I added more swirls to the water, softened the purple "guidelines" I had put in to avoid getting lost in the composition, and added more green and turquoise tones to the water. I continued the technique of making swirling motions with my hand, trying to capture the movement of the water. Despite the time pressure of the upcoming show, I really enjoyed creating this painting. (I am glad I didn't let the time pressure get in my way or spoil the fun of painting. In the end, I did manage to get all seven paintings done, as planned. Today I took this painting to Manchester, New Hampshire, to be hung for the show, along with six other paintings in this series.)

No comments: