Saturday, March 08, 2008

Singing Beach Blues (OIl Bar Painting Day 1)

Singing Beach Blues (Oil Bar Painting Day 1) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Friday morning (yesterday), I went to my studio at Red Brick to get this painting started. This is going to be a painting of Singing Beach, in Manchester-by-the-Sea, which is a short drive up Route 127. When I left for the studio, I made sure I had the printout of the photo I am using for reference (posted yesterday). My goal on Friday morning was just to block in the basic shapes and colors of the composition. I drew the composition in freehand with a gray oil bar, and then started blocking in some color, using the oil bars directly on the canvas and then blending. I added more detail to the ocean than I had intended, because no doubt I will have to move things around in this landscape. Although I think I made a good start, there are some issues with the perspective that are going to need some attention. To be continued. . . .

No comments: