Friday, April 25, 2008

Matza (Posterized Photo)

Matza (Posterized Photo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

I like to send e-mails to wish close friends and family a happy Passover, but this year I couldn't seem to get that done, not only because the week was very hectic, but also because I couldn't seem to get an idea for a Passover image. Well, I thought about this off and on all week, but had no good ideas. None. In the meantime, I started every day with matza for breakfast. I like to butter my matza, but it breaks into pieces if I butter it on a plate, so I put in on a paper towel. Now, mind you, I have been eating matza for breakfast everyday this week (not to mention sometimes for lunch and for snacks). Same routine, every time. Well, this morning I knew I had to send greetings out or else because Passover would soon be over, and as I made coffee, I considered punting and sending a photo of spring flowers or maybe going with a nice commercial e-card. I was still thinking as I got my matza out for breakfast and put it on the paper towel to butter it. I found myself admiring the pattern of the matza against the pattern of the paper towel. And suddenly the light dawned on Marblehead (as they say in Massachusetts) and I decided to take a photo of the matza for my little Passover e-mails. Once I transferred the photo into my computer, I posterized the image in Painter IX, and added a little more color with transparent "digital pastel". So here is my Passover image, with a tip of the hat to Bounty for the great pattern in the paper towel and Streit's Matzohs for the beautiful patterns in the matza. I can still use this image this year, although we are almost in the "Belated Passover" greetings category, and Hallmark has no card for that. But I also made this photo into a pattern in Painter IX, so I can use the pattern to make new designs when it is time for Passover next year.

No comments: