Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dark Blue Mountain (Monotype)

Dark Blue Mountain (Monotype) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This is the second of four prints that I made on Tuesday night in the printmaking class at Red Brick. I used two plates to make the first print (posted here yesterday). After that, my next idea was to use those plates again to make ghost prints (by running the plates through the press again), but there wasn't enough ink left on the plates to do that. But I did want to keep the a similar composition. So I added more ink to each of the plates. For the print in this post, I added blue and red to the bottom part of the plate, rolling the colors on with a brayer. Then I used cardboard to scrape out the highlighted areas of the mountain peaks. I left the top part of the plate alone, so the sky is really done as a ghost print. This image really reminds me of the Colorado mountains back home!

No comments: