Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Proportions of the Face Part II (Drawing Class Demo)

Proportions of the Face Part II (Drawing Class Demo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Tonight was the last class of the basic drawing class I have been teaching at Red Brick. Last week, I did a quick sketch to demonstrate how to start a drawing by laying out the proportions of the face. (I posted that sketch here on July 22.) In tonight's class, I went back to the original sketch ("before") and demonstrated how to correct proportions by checking and measuring with a ruler. This sketch is "after". I corrected the placement of the eye line, which was too low. That change made the face longer and the hairline higher. Then I lowered the eyebrows a bit, and added cheekbones to refine the shape of the face. I took a quick picture to keep this image. When I got home tonight, I realized that there were some cast shadows on the edges of the drawing, so before I posting, I opened the image in Painter IX and cleaned up the shadows with some digital pastel.

No comments: