Monday, August 25, 2008

Massachusetts Hibiscus (Posterized Photo)


Massachusetts Hibiscus (Posterized Photo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Just a few days away from September, and huge bright flowers are blooming all over the place here north of Boston, as if to compensate for the short growing season and long winters. The blossoms are about six inches across and look like hibiscus plants, which I have always thought of as tropical. But I discovered that these are called hardy hibiscus (also called rose mallow). They are just amazing and look like flowers out of a dream. On a very recent walk, I saw some red hardy hibiscus growing above a stone wall on a hill, putting the blossoms at eye level. I took some pictures with my phonecam. Tonight I cropped this image out of one of the photos, and posterized it using PainterIX.

No comments: