Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Red, White, and Blue Mountains (Hand Printed Monotype)

Red, White, and Blue Mountains (Hand-Printed Monotype) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Today I taught the first of two sessions of a print-making class for teens at Red Brick. This is the print I made to demonstrate the assignment, which was to make a plate out of cardboard, adding materials to create shapes and texture. I used corrogated cardboard for the mountains. We inked the plates, and transferred the images to the paper by hand (instead of with a printing press) by applying pressure with a clean brayer. I often use the mountains for imagery because I grew up in Colorado. Today, the Rocky Mountains were very much on my mind because I just left Denver to return to Massachusetts yesterday. For this image, I used a red, white, and blue color scheme because Denver is getting ready to host the Democratic National Convention next week.

No comments: