Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rosy Red Ink (Brayer Print)

Rosy Red Ink (Brayer Print)

Here is another image that I made this week while teaching printmaking to teens at Red Brick. On Wednesday, we used the printing press, and cleaning up afterward is not easy! The plates are hard to clean, and the brayers are even worse, but printmakers need to learn how to do this, not just to be "good citizens", but because plates and brayers have to be cleaned off when you change colors while printing. To make cleaning up more fun for the students (and for myself), I suggested we make prints (or are they paintings?) by rolling the brayers over pieces of printing paper, using up leftover ink and cleaning off the rollers at the same time. (We used oil paint as ink.) This was my demonstration. This image is very abstract, but I was showing how to suggest a shape by the movements of the brayer. In this case, I was trying to suggest floral shapes, maybe roses. Well, I liked the result more than I expected to, so here it is.

No comments: