Sunday, November 02, 2008

Evening Out (Posterized Photo)

Evening Out (Posterized Photo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This image began with a photo of my parents that I scanned into my computer a while ago. It looks like they were out for the evening. When I was little, if they said they were going to a party, I always begged to go along too, so after a while, they began to tell me that they were going to a meeting instead! My uncle was a wonderful photographer, and it is possible that he took the photo. In any case, this piece is a collaboration with whoever took the photo. When I found this image tonight, I realized that I had already begun to work on it some time ago, so I decided to finish it. I had already simplified the background with Painter IX. So tonight I reopened the image and used digital pastel to clean up some scratches. In the original photo, my mom's eyes were closing just a bit. (She hated the flash of camera lights.) So I also used digital pastel to fix that problem, as well as some wayward locks of hair! Then I posterized the image, using the magic wand tool to select the areas. Well, I enjoyed working on the image tonight and spending time thinking about my parents. It made me smile to think that when this picture was taken, they might have been out celebrating her birthday, which was November 2nd. Whatever they were celebrating, tonight I got to tag along!

No comments: