Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daydream of Portugal




Daydream of Portugal   (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

This is a painting done with acrylics on paper, and unfortunately, I didn't notice that the piece of paper that I chose to paint this on already had a painting on the other side! (See yesterday's post!)  There are lots of mistakes a person can make in an art class, but at the time, this seemed to be the worst kind of artistic mishap! It was funny, but also frustrating! I liked both paintings, and couldn't frame one without losing the other.  But now, thanks to digital imaging, I can "keep" both paintings. And I am glad because even though this painting is a little rough around the edges, it is definitely a keeper.  (It could use a little work because I quit working on it, once I realized my mistake.) It is a street scene of the Foz in Porto.  I painted it from imagination and memory, drawing from my visits to Portugal.  Yellow ochre is an unusual color choice for me, but that's a color that you see on many of the houses on the wonderful, winding streets of Porto.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Hi Randi,
I love this painting, it made me think of summer, and smile. The curved street looks like a great place to take a walk and I wonder what's around that curve.
Sheila