Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Edinburgh View (Digital Woodcut)


Edinburgh View (Digital Woodcut)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

Here is the third of three digital woodcuts created from photos that I took several years ago during a trip to Edinburgh, Scotland.  Like the images posted here yesterday and the day before, this one began with a photograph that was too dark and out of focus.  Tonight I cropped this composition out of the original, then opened the image in Painter.  I adjusted the contrast, then created a digital woodcut.  I used color overlay to add color to the sky, and contrast to foliage behind the rooflines. Now, this might seem like a lot of trouble to go to for photos taken in late afternoon light with a disposable camera.  Why do it? Well, I like a challenge.  Besides, I am willing to assume that I must have had a good reason to take those photos, even knowing that light wasn't ideal and the camera was very limited.  I am willing to assume that there was something there that I really wanted to capture.  (In fact, sometimes there is an inverse relationship between my excitement about the scene and the quality of the photo.)  In this case, I think I found what I was hoping to capture that afternoon in Edinburgh when I took pictures of the houses on the hillside.

No comments: