Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lavender Azalea in Dappled Light


Lavender Azalea in Dappled Light
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

Tonight I cropped this image from a photo that I took during a recent walk at Long Hill Gardens.  Right now, you can find azalea in bloom, in many colors.  I liked the lavender flowers, and the dappled light, which always reminds me of one of my favorite poems, "Pied Beauty" by Gerard Manley Hopkins. In fact, here it is:

Glory be to God for dappled things - 
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced -fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise Him.

No comments: