Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Late Afternoon Roses (Digital Woodcut)


Late Afternoon Roses (Digital Woodcut)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is a digital woodcut created from the image that I posted yesterday, a photo (digitally edited and posterized) of roses in the late afternoon light.  Tonight I opened the image in Painter and began to fiddle with the "digital woodcut" controls.  It was a bit of a challenge and took several attempts to get what I wanted.  I was trying to get the right level of edge and heaviness (to control the amount of definition and black outline), but it seemed that when I got that right, I wasn't getting enough color, resulting in gray or beige flowers.  After a number of tries, I decided to go with the amount of black outline that I wanted, and just add some color overlay to the roses.  Here is the result, less naturalistic and less sunny than yesterday's image. This version is a bit more mysterious, suggesting roses at twilight rather than late afternoon.  Same subject matter, different mood.

No comments: