Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Yellow Lilies and White Fence (Posterized Photo)


Yellow Lilies and White Fence (Posterized Photo)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This image began with a photo that I took at the end of a recent walk along the beach at low tide.  The walk ended at the south edge of Independence Park, here in Beverly, MA.  On the other side of the long driveway that borders the park is a long white fence, and yellow lilies were blooming all along the driveway (which leads from the beach to the street, and is about a block long).  I liked the contrast of lilies and white fence so I took some pictures.  This image is cropped from one of them.  I used Painter to clean up some dried leaves, and then posterized the image.  When I posterized the entire image, I lost the white of the fence.  It became turquoise and purple, which was interesting, but in this case I wanted the original color.  So I selected large areas to posterize in the lower part of the photo, and used the magic wand tool to select very specific areas to posterize in the top part of the photo, and that made it possible to posterize some of the flowers without posterizing the fence.

No comments: