Friday, September 03, 2010

Big Bowl of Apples


Big Bowl of Apples
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

Yesterday I participated in the local custom of running to the grocery store in anticipation of a storm. This time, the storm was Hurricane Earl, not just the usual thunderstorm or snow storm. I had made a little list of things that didn't need to be refrigerated or heated, just in case the power went out: tuna fish, granola bars, peanut butter, etc. On my way into the grocery store, I saw a table with big bags of apples. Hmmm, gala apples, my favorite! And they were so beautiful! Well, I thought, apples can be stored and eaten at room temperature, in case we lose power. And besides, Rosh Hoshanah is coming up this week, and I will need apples for the holiday. But the truth is, I also bought these apples because I liked the way they looked! Well, the storm is still expected to pass by sometime tonight, though Earl has been downgraded by several categories, and isn't expected to make a direct hit. So we probably won't be reduced to eating granola bars and pb&j. So now that I am more relaxed about Hurrican Earl, I am beginning to wonder what to do with all these apples. I decided that the first thing to do was to photograph them, in hopes of getting an image that I can use for Rosh Hoshana greetings (Jewish New Year) to friends and family. So I put the apples in a big glass bowl and took some pictures. This is one of the best photos. I used iPhoto to lighten the shadows, clean up a few stray marks, and crop to get this composition.

No comments: