Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chicken Collage (Pencil Sketch)

This afternoon, I went up to the studio, and got started on a collage I have been thinking about. This is based on a little series of chicken drawings I have been making recently, inspired by some beautiful chickens that I saw at Long Hill Gardens, in Beverly. I loved the patterns and colors in their feathers, and seeing them gave me an idea for an image of a chicken done with patterns, so I decided to do a collage. I began with this pencil sketch on cardboard. I drew based on memory this time, but made lots of corrections. When I was nearly done, I took a peek at my previous sketches (using my iPhone), and made some slight adjustments. Then I took this picture with my iPhoto. Afterwards I kept going. I started making the collage, cutting paper and pasting pieces onto this drawing. I plan to post that here tomorrow. It seems silly to pay so much attention to an image of a chicken. Well, I could justify this by saying "it's good practice" (it is), or "I am interested in patterns in nature" (I am). But the truth is that sometimes art is just plain fun, and these days I think everybody could use a little comic relief! Anyway, today I was very glad to be back in the studio, hatching out this little project.

No comments: