Thursday, September 01, 2011

Herbs (Pen and Ink Sketch)

Herbs (Pen and Ink Sketch) by randubnick
Herbs (Pen and Ink Sketch), a photo by randubnick on Flickr.

Today was Thursday and time for the weekly trip to The Food Project at Long Hill. It's fun to go there and collect our selection of vegetables, and today we also got to pick green beans, cherry tomatoes, and herbs out in the field. But the trip to Long Hill is never the end of the story. Once I get home, everything has to be cleaned up, packaged, and put away in the fridge. By the time I got finished with all that, I just wanted to sit down for a few minutes. But I had an idea for a drawing, so I grabbed a Sharpie pen and sketch pad on my way to the couch. I thought it would be a good exercise to sketch the herbs in pen and ink, trying to capture their different shapes, lines, and textures. I worked from memory (very recent memory because I had just put them all away in the fridge). I think most of the herbs are recognizable. In any case I had fun, and even though I was resting on the couch, my pen and ink technique got a little workout.

No comments: