Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Colorado Drawings Dillon Step 2

I am working on an idea for a series of drawings based on a small (5 x 8 inch) sketchbook that I took with me on a trip to Colorado back in the 80s. From the passenger seat, I used pencil to draw quick sketches, trying to capture the lines of the mountains from a moving car. Now that the sketchbook has reappeared, I want to create mixed media drawings based on the sketches, and have been trying to work out how I want them to look. Yesterday, I worked on this drawing, using conte crayon to create flat areas of color. But I felt like the lines were disappearing, and the lines were the point of departure for this idea. I had been fighting the desire to draw back into the image with fine-line marker pen, and I succeeded in fending off the idea. . .until I gave it, just before I was ready to leave the house on an errand. (I already had my coat on.) I picked up a blue marker, and quickly traced over the lines. I took a quick picture, and left. I didn't know whether I liked the result or not. I liked the lines, but thought the image had looked better before (see yesterday's post) and so was at least a little bit horrified. But no matter what, I had the digital image of the earlier picture. I took courage from the voice of one of my favorite college painting teachers (Robert Daigle), who would urge me to try the unfamiliar approach, saying, "Good, Randi. Now you have a problem to solve." The idea that having a problem to solve leads to more creativity was a great lesson (and can be applied beyond art class). So I started to think about how to solve the problem that I had created. . . .To be continued.

No comments: